The debate between synthetic and animal hair brushes has been going on for quite sometime.
Over my career as a professional makeup artist, I’ve become more of an animal activist. It has impacted my life and the way I conduct my businesses.
“Did you know that some makeup brushes are made with real animal hair? It’s true, and the animals didn’t give up their hair willingly—they were either farmed and killed in a slaughterhouse or trapped.” – Peta.org
More so now, I think it is time we make a shift in the way we treat animals.
Before I started using animal cruelty free brushes, I remember being given an Ox makeup brush. The makeup artist at the time was ranting and raving about how luxurious it felt.
All I noticed is that it shed on my clients face. It looked like she grew a beard. All over her face. Not a good look.
For me, I don’t think that anyone needs to use animal hair brushes at all.
The advantages of using synthetic brushes outweigh any other. In my opinion, they’re easier to keep clean and last the same if not longer than animal hair brushes and softer. That’s why I’ve chosen to use synthetic brushes.
All in all, it depends on what’s important to you and wether or not it makes a difference if a makeup artist uses animal hair brushes or synthetic.
Here are some of my favourite brushes and tools:
ESUM Vegan Brushes
If you are interested in learning more, message me here.
6 WAYS TO HEALTHY SKIN FOR SUMMER
Keeping your skin healthy at anytime should be a priority. Especially during the summer, when the elements can affect the condition of your skin.
1. CLEAN EATING / EXERCISE: I start with these and combine them together because I feel they are the most important for a great foundation of skin health. There are a plethora of outdoor activities to do here in Squamish and Whistler. You have your own gym outside. Eat a clean and well balanced diet to ensure proper skin health. Eating junk will show up on your skin.
2. HYDRATE: I can’t seem to emphasize enough on how important it is to stay hydrated. Especially during summer. Your skin is the first tell for a makeup artist wether or not you’ve drank enough water. So after you’ve finished reading this, go have some water. Your skin will thank you by looking great.
3. WEAR LITTLE TO NO MAKEUP: Say WHAT?! That’s right. I said it. I stand by it. I live it. Beauty has nothing to do with the makeup on your face. If you haven’t figured it out by now, you’re beautiful. Simple as that. Wearing makeup during hot weather can clog your pores, and potentially leave you with acne. If you don’t have to wear it, don’t.
4. EXFOLIATE: At least once a week you want to be exfoliating your skin to remove any dead skin cells. If you are not exfoliating, your dead skin cells could build up on your face, leaving your face looking and feeling dirty, dry and/or patchy. You can use anything that would be slightly abrasive for your face, ie; a wash cloth, or a sugar or salt scrub.
5. CLEANSE: Keep your skin clean. In the summer heat, you tend to be more sweaty. If you are not washing that sweat off your face at the end of the day, the dirt can build up leaving you with, well, dirty skin. For me, Witch Hazel works as the best cleanser.
6. COVER UP: Wear sunscreen (non-greasy), a hat or stay out of the sun. Period. Long exposure to the sun can be very damaging to our skin. If you want another way to ensure healthy looking skin for summer, staying protected from the sun is a great place to start.
In general, having good hygiene and overall health will leave you with healthy looking skin. There is always skin issues, but if you don’t have any skin health problems, these steps will get you closer to glowing, beautiful healthy looking skin for summer.
CLICK HERE TO BOOK A CONSULTATION OR MAKEUP TRIAL
HYDRATE: We can all use more water, especially to achieve that ‘glowing-bride’ look. Your skin looks it’s best when it is hydrated. Since our bodies are made up of approximately 57% water, it’s best to keep you topped up. When you think that you’ve drunk enough water, drink more.
SUN BLOCK: Especially for the summer bride, there is a lot of events in the days ahead of your wedding day that are outdoors. The sun dries you out, and can quickly give you a sunburn. So, try to remember to wear a hat, wear a non greasy sunscreen or just stay out of it. If you really want a tanned look, there are safer ways of getting your tan on.
SLEEP: Get enough sleep. When we are not fully rested, it will show in our eyes in the form of bags, dark circles and even redness. With the hustle and bustle of the weeks ahead of your big day, we can get caught up in our heads and not get restful sleeps. Try taking a warm bath or shower before bed to relax your body and mind.
EXFOLIATE: You’ll want to exfoliate your skin 5-7 before the wedding. It will help with your glow, and give your skin that extra care it needs. You can make your own. Use 1-1 parts of a raw corse salt/sugar to coconut oil. With a warm cloth, take your mixture and apply it in a circular motion to your face. After a few minutes, rinse with warm water and follow it with your favourite moisturizer.
BROW GAME: If you are looking to get your eyebrows trimmed before your big day, I suggest doing it a week to a few days before your big day. You don’t want to run the risk of any mis-hap. Make sure you know your ‘brow magician’ and have seen them at least once before the wedding trim.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION